Saturday 18 January 2014

Three Events during the Big Hot week.

It's been the Big Hot this week, with temperatures into the 40's on four consecutive days. I've watched so much air-conditioned TV tennis, my neck aches. A serious attack of cabin fever led us to seek out some StreetO this week.

On Tuesday we arrived at Geoff's Blackburn event in 40+ temperatures, expecting to be the only sad punters, but there were 35 of us. I soaked my bandana in cold water and trotted off down the street, clutching my squashy water bottle. The best bit of the course was round the school – five controls in quick succession, my favourite. Approaching from the south, I did 3, 6, 4, 5, 7 but I did have to squint closely at the map. My running was fine for about 30 minutes, and then weariness hit home. I tipped water on my head, which ran down my face and wrecked my glasses. Tipping my head back was worse, when the water ended up inside my shorts. I returned with 14 controls in 40 minutes, a scarlet face and a damp bottom. Geoff thrust a welcome cup of cold water into my hand. Pat soon returned with a good haul of controls. We had survived our first 40 degree event.

For some reason, we decided to head out again on Wednesday. The courses were shortened, so I was able to cover six controls in 30 minutes, about 5km of park and street in total, on a balmy 37 degree evening.

Thursday was a 44 degree day, so we decided to stay in.

Saturday brought a humid 24 degrees, quite a difference. This proved to be the best event of the week, with 21 controls to visit in Tally Ho Business Park. A mass start long sprint event, another first for me. 3-4 caught me out when I arrived at a tall fence just before the control. 9-10 looked similar but I was ready for it. The athletics track was a hive of activity, with hundreds of youngsters running, jumping and throwing with great enthusiasm. I needed a pitstop before 16 but the toilet block was locked. I gritted my teeth and clutched my map. My brains scrambled towards the end as I meandered my way to the finish where an iced coffee restored some of my faculties. 41 minutes for a measured 5.6km was most satisfactory.

Three events completed during such a week surely proves that we orienteers are either intrepid or barmy. You choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment